Saturday, July 5, 2008

So i was sitting, wiating, wishing...

Today, I rolled over in my bed pulled the curtains back away from the window to reveal the first cloudless, clear, blue sunny sky since i have been here. Don't get me wrong, the weather has been rather nice, there are just always clouds and at least one rain shower a day somewhere in Quito. Luckily for me, the rain has stayed away. Becky and I however started to pack because we are headed out to Baños around 1 with José.

We never managed to make it to the Teleferiqo, which is this big Gondola type thing that goes up the side of the mountain Pichincha which lies just outside our window. It would have been the perfect morning to do it too, but we packed instead to go to the hot springs. I think its a fair trade.

So currently, in the mean time, Becky and I are sitting in the lounge of the Hostel having a pleasant chat with the cheerful older women named, Olguita (Olga). She the owner of the hostel and was absolutely fascinated with my iPhone, she kept repeating herself, "Oh my god, i can not believe this. Never would i have imagined such a technology. Oh my god...." I showed her the maps application and found her hostel on it and she was just astonished. It was really cool showing her it and seeing her reaction, I'm sure i just gave her bragging rights tomorrow night at tea with her friends. And then, in the middle of the laughter and excitement, SCREECH... CRASH!!

Immediately, Olguita jumps up and says i wonder what happened, i want to see, then followed by Becky, "me too," and then me, "me too!" We all ran outside into the sunny warm heat while Becky and I both hope that it wasn't José coming to pick us up, since he is "on his way." We get outside and there is a cop car in front of the hostel; he must have been there before the accident though. Becky told me that Ecuadorians don't like getting the cops involved with accidents so that is some bad luck having an accident right in front of a cop i´d say. It looked as though the smaller white car was rear-ended by the other guy. A younger guy emerges from his poor little car holding his neck; you know he got whip lash with that kind of impact. The two men walk up to each other and greet formally shaking each others hands and it looks like they wanted to be cool about the whole situation because of the cop. I however couldn't help but to grab my iPhone and snap a couple shots, while the entire time i feel a tourist and like the accident is some big tourist attraction. Becky so kindly commented about that too. We came back inside rather quick but there was a nice crowd that had formed outside by then, and now, Becky and I are sitting, and waiting for José. That's all.

No comments: