Friday, July 4, 2008

Now listen up here´s a story, about a little man that lives in a Blue world..

So yesterday Becky and I woke up early so that we could go to "La Mitad del Mundo," the Equator. José told us the day before that we could go easily by route of the "green" bus. So we don't think much of it. We left the hostel, and emerged into the Ecuadorian heat, which mainly feels like a nice warm spring day with the nip of a breeze to it, and we walked down one of the main streets to where José told us to grab the bus. Becky and I sat at one of the stops for a good 20 minutes, and about every 2 minutes a nice big blue bus would pass us by. Becky finally decided that maybe we weren't on the right street and she started texting and calling José to no avail, while i pulled out my iPhone and started googeling things.

What we came up with was that we were one street off (apparently) and that we had to go up to Américas ave. which was just one street further up. By this time both Becky and I are thinking great now we have missed the bus because it might only come by once every 15-30 min. So we sit, and sit and sit... what do we see... blue bus, blue bus, and oh look another blue bus just passed. In the mean time with my handy little iPhone i manage to find out that its not a green bus that we are looking for, its actually a Pink and White one. Hmm, after being there for around 1 hr now and not having even seen such a bus we start doubting there is a bus around there for the Equator. We waited just a little longer, and then gave up our conquest for the middle of the world and headed, with our heads down, back to the room but wait, whats that... MOVIES!

Hehe one thing that is great about Latin America (L.A.) is the massive amounts of cheap, decent quality movies one can encounter here. If the store is bigger too, you´re in for luck! The other day I found the 4th season of Lost, my favorite t.v. show, and since ABC does not let viewers outside the US watch the series online in HD, i had to buy it. Today though, i was on a quest to find Becky some of my favorite movies (The Fountain & Atonement) which we could not find in the little store by our place, and after passing over the shelves for the 50th time, The Fountain jumped out at me! I was excited , but we have yet to watch it. We got back to the room and popped in a movie called Over Her Dead Body, which is about this girl who dies on her wedding day and comes back and Haunts her ex fiance. It was pretty funny. I also bought the Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I actually just watched it and i liked it.

Yesterday after watching Over Her Dead Body, we had José take us to the Equator. Its only about a 20 min north of Quito. I got to balance an egg on a nail and i technically was in both hemispheres at the same time! It was cool and i took lots of pics that I'm trying to upload now. We went to this really cool crater called, Pululahua, which is inhabited. Its the highest inhabited volcano in the world apparently. It was really cool because as we were driving up the mountains the clouds were rolling down and it got dark all of the sudden and cold. We also stood on this ledge and looked down as the clouds and winds tore up the towering sides of this huge crater. I swear i almost got pneumonia standing out there it was so cold.

We got back to the room and i took a little nap and then we went out for Pinchos, which to me is basically meat and potatoes, but it is one of the local types of foods. I had a BBQ chicken breast pincho which was amazing! I love the little bowl of spices that they always have on the tables here, its so tasty! And Aji, don't let me get started on that salsa. Its really good! Anyways, we saw a commercial for these chocolate covered ice cream bars that i had to have one. I don't know why, but that commerical made me desire one! It was either the exotic girl draped in flowy blue fabrics, or the way she bit into the chocolate, idk.. probably the blue dress. So, therefore we forced José to walk with us around to every convenience store to find one, the first 2 didn't have them, and then we finally found them in something of a department store. Becky and i needed the chocolate for our night of watching Atonement. It was great, we plopped down, ate chocolate and loved it! Anyways, Becky and i have been really lazy and haven't left our room today, so we are going to go grab some grub. Ill post later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just gotta say that I really enjoy reading your blog.
It makes me feel like I'm going on adventures in latin america.
That's all.
(but don't reveal the season finale of lost was because I have yet to see it)