Monday, September 15, 2008

Generosity

The Dutch really know how to make you feel at home.

They have one of the best customs ever! I know in the states its common to ask someone if they would like something to drink but here, its obligatory! If you run into a mate in the hall or see someone on the balcony immediately you're invited for something to drink, and they give you a selection while they are at it! "Would you like kofee, tea, juice, or maybe water?" I love it! But the thing that is different here is they want you to have something to drink, you feel awkward if you don't take it! It is really cool because it allows for conversation and being social too. I think its a very friendly and nice way to make friends too. But this isn't only on a personal level in society. Businesses and companies, even the University offices give you coffee or tea if you're waiting. Just today i went to a bank to try and set up an account, and while i was waiting for a representative they told us to have a seat in the Koffee corner and help ourselves to cappuccinos or whatever we would like. Well in the Koffee corner they a coffee machine for you and cups. You can make yourself and espresso, latte, cappuccino, mocha, macciato, whatever! And the machine does it all for you, warms the milk, pours the shots, you only have to push a button!! I feel quite spoiled, hehe.

The Dutch hospitality doesn't end there however. I don't have an oven in my apartment so i cant bake anything. Well i mentioned it to my neighbor and they invited me over to cook in their oven, and in fact they'll buy and provide the food if only i cook it!!! What a deal! So tomorrow I'm going to the market and buying some salmon. I found a really nice recipe for this lemon garlic salmon and well actually my neighbor is going to buy all the food, but I'm going to cook it! I'm really liking this whole set a more than i thought i would! Anyways i gotta do some homework, ill post later.

No comments: